Functional Skills qualifications can open doors to a wide range of job areas, help you to progress your career, and boost your confidence in maths. Whether you finished your studies recently or you’ve not studied maths since you left school, our interactive Functional Skills courses are designed to give you the skills you need to succeed. By studying Functional Skills Maths, you will be starting from the beginning and will be able to see your skills increase over time; level one will take you through numbers, measures, shapes, and handling data; level two will expand your knowledge to include fractions, decimals, three-dimensional shapes and more advanced ways of handling and interpreting data. Our Functional Skills Maths (Levels 1 and 2) course is ideal if you:
- Are wanting to progress in your career but do not have GCSE Maths or equivalent – Level 2 can act as an alternative to a GCSE at grade 4 and can be enough to push you forward in the right direction.
- Are currently in an apprenticeship programme.
- Are looking to study at your own pace. With frequent assessments, you can book your exam when it suits you.
- Are looking to boost your skills in order to feel more confident in solving maths problems in your day-to-day life. This could be anything from household budgeting or adding up your grocery list to calculating how much wallpaper you will need for redecorating your home.
- Are aiming to continue to further studies such as GCSE, A level or a vocational course but are looking for an introduction to maths through online learning. The skills learned on our Functional Skills courses will be transferable to many other subjects.
Exams and assessment Assessment is by externally set paper-based or onscreen on-demand assessment. Assessments take place throughout the year. Students are not entered for any exams when they enrol with OCL but we will put you in touch with our trusted partner Tutors and Exams who will enter you and provide you with the opportunity to take the exams. The structure and timings outlined below are the same for both Levels. Exams are organised independently of OCL, by contacting Tutors & Exams directly. They will be able to provide further guidance on exam booking. For a list of exam locations and dates, click here. Results are issued up to 20 days after completing the external assessment. OCL offers an exam pass guarantee. In order for this to be applicable to your Functional Skills course, you must have passed the past paper that is provided as part of your course before sitting the external assessment.