Purpose of Functional Skills English for Levels 1 & 2: a qualification to demonstrate the ability at an appropriate level to read, write, speak, listen and communicate in English, and to apply this knowledge and these skills in familiar situations. Achievement of these qualifications can provide the basis for further study.
Learners are required to demonstrate their competence in English by using it in real-world situations as well as to demonstrate a sound grasp of English knowledge and skills.
Our Functional Skills English (Levels 1 and 2) course is ideal if you:
- Are wanting to progress in your career but do not have GCSE English or equivalent – Level 2 can act as an alternative to a GCSE at grade 4 and can
- be enough to push you forward in the right direction.
- Are currently in an apprenticeship programme.
- Are looking to study at your own pace. With frequent assessments, you can book your exam when it suits you.
- Are looking to boost your skills in order to feel more confident in comprehending what you’re reading, writing for different audiences, identifying types of language, spelling and grammar.
- Are aiming to continue to further studies such as GCSE, A level or a vocational course but are looking for an introduction to English through online learning.
- The skills learned in our Functional Skills courses will be transferable to many other subjects.
Exams and assessment
Assessment is by externally set paper-based or onscreen on-demand assessment. Assessments take place throughout the year.
Students are not entered for any exams when they enrol with OCL but we will put you in touch with our trusted partner Tutors and Exams who will enter you and provide you with the opportunity to take the exams.
Exams are organised independently of OCL, by contacting Tutors & Exams directly. They will be able to provide further guidance on exam booking. For a list of exam locations and dates, click here.
Results are issued up to 20 days after completing the external assessment.
OCL offers an exam pass guarantee. In order for this to be applicable to your Functional Skills course, you must have passed the past paper that is provided as part of your course before sitting the external assessment.